Monday, March 19, 2012

Blue Moon & Corona Cupcakes

I was recently tricked into making these cupcakes:

(can you figure out what is wrong with this picture?)


By "recently" I really mean like a month ago...for the Superbowl. Here's what happened...I'm minding my business one day, working (cause I'm at work, and that's what I do here), when my friend Lindsey, who was getting ready to host a Superbowl party, sends me this link to Blue Moon and Corona cupcakes and says something along the lines of how delicious they look. She is especially intrigued because these just happen to be her two favorite beers.


I think to myself, "Self, you probably don't have time to make cupcakes for the Superbowl..." while simultaneously thinking how it had been too long since I'd baked, Lindsey was hosting this party where there was bound to be lots of food, and she would probably really enjoy them...


I tell her that if I have time, I'll make the cupcakes. Her response, "I was in no way trying to get you to make these cupcakes when I sent you the link. They just looked really good!." (That may not be a real quote, but that's the general idea). Anyway, I take her for her word and go on with my work week. Oh, and I decided that since she wasn't trying to get me to make the cupcakes I was for sure going to make them...you know, since she wasn't trying to covertly control me, I was going to reward her with delicious baked goods.
Well...turns out she is a conniving B! (who I love...) 
SHE TOTALLY HAD EVERY INTENTION OF GETTING ME TO MAKE HER THESE CUPCAKES. And I fell for it (obviously).

Anyway, after I baked them and brought them to her house, her response was, "I really hoped you would bake these for the party when I sent you the link!"

So, I was tricked into baking these cupcakes. Good news though - they are delicious! I think everyone preferred the Blue Moon, and you can actually taste a hint of the beer! They were a perfect Superbowl snack!

One word of warning - the fruit garnish, while lovely, will mess up the frosting and will not sit straight for long periods of time. The juice messes with things. You've been warned.






Blue Moon/Corona Cupcakes - (approx. 24 cupcakes)
3/4 cups butter, at room temperature
1-3/4 cup sugar
2-1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange or lime zest
1 cup Blue Moon or Corona beer, plus more for brushing on tops
1/4 cup milk
Orange/lime wedges and sanding sugar for garnish
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add eggs, beating after each addition then add the vanilla and zest.
  5. Combine milk and beer and alternatively add this mixture and the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture with the mixer on low speed, starting and ending with the flour.
  6. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
  7. When cupcakes are done, poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes with toothpicks and brush some beer on each while still warm.
Orange/Lime Cream Cheese Frosting -
12 oz cream cheese, cold
6 tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange/lime juice
Zest of 1 lime or 1/2 an orange
4 cups powdered sugar
  1. Cream together the cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. 
  2. Add the citrus juice and zest and gradually add the powdered sugar until well-combined. Beat until smooth for about 2 minutes.
  3. Load frosting in a piping bag fit with a large star tip and pipe cupcake tops once cooled.

4 comments:

  1. These look amazing Rachel! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Too bad I'm not a better photographer!

      Delete
  2. I demand you make these and mail them to me. Post haste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cupcakes don't mail well...but if you come visit, I promise there will a fresh batch waiting for you on arrival! Think about it!

      Delete