Monday, March 12, 2012

Bacon Whole Wheat Pancakes

(I decided that since the post is short, the picture has to be big!)
As usual, it has been FOREVER since I have posted anything.  Such is life, no?!  Anyway, just a short little post today...Ian and I decided to make some delicious pancakes for breakfast-lunch yesterday (no, this was not brunch.  It was at 1:30 in the afternoon...we just decided to have breakfast for lunch).

Ian baked some bacon in the oven, and then I whipped up these whole wheat pancakes...put the cooked bacon on the skillet and then dump your batter right on top of the bacon!  Delicious!  My sister pointed out that bacon in a whole wheat pancake "defeats the purpose of the whole wheat pancake."  My thoughts = bacon never defeats the purpose of anything...bacon goes with everything!  Also, the whole wheat pancakes (while nutritious) are also delicious! 

We also made some dunk eggs (I believe people outside of my family call these over easy) to throw on top of the pancakes!  All in all, this was a delicious breakfast lunch.  The pancakes were light and fluffy and had a really good flavor.  Next time, however, I will be crumbling the bacon and mixing it into the batter so I can have a bite of bacon with most bites of pancake!  Sounds good, right?!

(Please forgive my terrible photo)


Whole Wheat Pancakes -

2 cups whole wheat flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon (we added a little extra)
2 tsp sugar (we added a little extra)
pinch nutmeg
2 large eggs
2 cups + 2 tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
  1. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Add in all wet ingredients and mix well with a spoon until there are no more dry spots.  Don't over mix.
  3. Heat a skillet on medium heat.
  4. Lightly spay cooking spray on skillet (we used butter).
  5. Place bacon on skillet and cover with 1/4 cup of pancake batter.
  6. When bubbles settle and the edges begin to set, flip the pancake and cook the other side to golden brown. 
  7. EAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment